Job interviews are always stressful – even for job seekers who have gone on countless interviews. The best way to reduce the stress is to be prepared. Take the time to review the common interview questions you will most likely be asked.
- What were your responsibilities?
- What did you like or dislike about your previous job? Which was most/least rewarding?
- What major challenges and problems did you face? How did you handle them?
- What have you learned from your mistakes?
- Describe your ideal boss.
- Why are you leaving your current role?
- What have you been doing since your last job?
- Why have you been out of work so long?
- Describe your strengths and weaknesses.
- How would you describe yourself?
- How would your current manager describe you?
- What skills do you have that would make you successful in this role?
- Describe a typical work week.
- Describe your work style.
- Do you work well with other people?
- How do you handle stress and pressure?
- What motivates you?
- Tell me about yourself.
- What has been the greatest achievement/disappointment in your life?
- What are you passionate about?
- What are your pet hates?
- If you could relive the last 10 years of your life, what would you do differently?
- If the people who know you were asked why you should be hired, what would they say?
- Do you prefer to work independently or on a team?
- Give an example of when you…
- Describe a difficult work situation / project and how you overcame it.
- Describe a time when your workload was heavy and how you handled it.
About the New Job and the Company
- What interests you about this job?
- Why do you want this job?
- What can you do for this company?
- Why should we hire you?
- Why are you the best person for the job?
- What do you know about this company?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What challenges are you looking for in a position?
- What can you contribute to this company?
- What do you see yourself doing within the first 30 days on the job?
- Are you willing to travel?
- How long do you expect to remain employed with this company?
- What are you looking for in your next job? What is important to you?
- Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
- Questions about your career goals.
- What will you do if you don’t get this position?
Of course, every job and every interviewer is different – these are just some examples of questions that are often asked at interview.